License applications are processed in a licensing office in the Middleborough Police Department lobby on the dates listed below. The dates and times are also posted in the police station lobby each month or can be heard by calling the police station at 508-947-1212 and selecting option 3. Renewals of FID and LTC cards will not be accepted any earlier than 90 days prior to expiration.
The Middleborough Police Department will process firearm permits on the following days:
- November 5th 9am-2pm
- November 9th 10am-2pm
- November 19th 9am-2pm
- November 26th 9am-2pm
Recent changes to Massachusetts firearms laws now require LTC and FID applicants to provide a signed affidavit of lost/stolen firearms (Page 4 of the Application). This only applies to those renewing their licenses. LTC and FID renewal applicants must fill out and sign a lost/stolen firearms affidavit.
LTC/FID Change of Address
If you already have an FID or LTC but your address has changed, please download and submit this Firearms License Change of Address form.
Pin numbers are issued with LTC/FID cards. If you cannot locate you PIN number call the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4722 Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm.
Massachusetts License To Carry (LTC) or Firearms Identification Card (FID) and Eligibility Requirements
Firearms Identification Card (FID)
Firearms Identification Card (FID): Massachusetts requires persons to have a Firearms Identification Card in order to lawfully purchase or possess a rifle or shotgun. You must be 18 to apply for an FID, or 14 – 17 with submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card; an FID card won’t be issued until the individual is 15. The application fee of an FID is $100.00, or $25 if the individual is under 18. The license is good for not more than 6 years.
License to Carry Firearms (LTC)
License to Carry Firearms (LTC): Massachusetts requires persons to have a License to Carry Firearms in order to lawfully purchase or possess a handgun. A valid LTC will also allow persons to lawfully possess and purchase rifles or shotguns. You must be 21 to apply for an LTC. The application fee of an LTC is $100.00 and the license is good for not more than 6 years.
Eligibility Requirements for a License to Carry Firearms (LTC):
- The following are permanent disqualifiers for an LTC:
- Any felony conviction.
- Any drug violation conviction.
- Any violent crime conviction.
- Any misdemeanor conviction punishable by more than two years imprisonment.
- LTC Applicants must:
- be a citizen of the United States, and must submit proof of citizenship. Naturalized citizens must submit your Certificate of Naturalization.
- be a legal resident of Middleborough or own a business in Middleborough.
- be at least 21 years of age.
- not have any outstanding warrants against you.
- not be defendant of a current restraining order, suspension or surrender order.
- wait five years if you have been treated or confined for drug addiction or alcoholism and submit an affidavit from a registered physician stating that you have been cured.
- submit an affidavit from a registered physician if you have been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness. The affidavit must state that the physician is familiar with your condition and that in their opinion there is no reason why you should not possess a handgun, rifle or shotgun.
Massachusetts LTC/FID Application Instructions
- Download the LTC/FID application/renewal form.
- Fill out your application completely, and truthfully.
- Print your application clearly and neatly, and provide your current telephone number.
- When selecting a license type, only select one type.
- Provide two references as requested.
When submitting your application please provide the following:
- A copy of your current Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate.
- A copy of your Massachusetts Hunter Safety Certificate.
- A copy of your proof of citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization.
- Proof of Residency. (Massachusetts Driver’s license, I.D. or School I.D.)
- Application fee of $100.00 (Cash, Check or money order to the Town of Middleborough)
*Prior to signing and submitting your completed LTC/FID application, read the warning regarding submitting an application with false information. False information may result in criminal charges, and WILL result in your application being denied. If your application for a LTC or FID is denied, you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the reason(s) for being denied. Your notice will also advise you of your right to appeal the decision to the appropriate District Court.
When you arrive at the Middleborough Police Department on a processing date (see list of dates at top of page) there is a sign in sheet with the approximate time your application will be processed. A police officer will process the application, collect the necessary fee, and conduct an interview. All applicants will be photographed and electronically fingerprinted if they are not on file. At that time you will receive a receipt that your application has been received and processed.
After completing the Department of Mental Health background check, the fingerprint record check with the Massachusetts State Police, and a local background check, the application will be submitted to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau for final review. This process routinely takes 8 weeks from the date the application is processed. PLEASE refrain from calling to inquire about the status of your firearms license prior to the expiration of the 8 weeks. When MPD receives your LTC or FID it will be activated, and you will be notified by telephone that your license is ready to be picked up at the records window in the lobby of the Middleborough Police Station.